English and maths skills are important within all aspects of our studies, work and everyday life. We want to make sure that all students have the chance to develop the skills needed to succeed in everyday life, education and in the workplace.
Functional Skills qualifications:
- are valued by employers and further education
- support you to get a job or progress to higher level courses/university
- help you to use your English, maths and ICT skills effectively for real purposes in real situations
- develop the essential skills required for work.
Functional Skills Maths
This math’s course aims to improve number, measure, shape and space, and data handling skills. It leads to a nationally recognised Functional Skills qualification. The teaching covers:
- arithmetic skills – adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing
- calculate and measure length, weights, areas and volumes
- read and understand timetables and other data
- understand and use fractions, percentages and decimals
- interpret mathematical information and calculate averages.
Students will learn through working in small groups as well as working individually, with the support of the tutor/assessor.