Why should my business take on Apprentices or get involved in Apprenticeship training?
Over 130,000 businesses across the UK offer Apprenticeship places because they recognise their effectiveness at increasing productivity, improving business performance and ensuring a committed and competent workforce.
Recruiting Apprentices enables employers to fill the skills gaps that exist within their current workforce as Apprentices begin to learn sector specific skills from day one; developing specialist knowledge that will positively affect your bottom line.
The benefits businesses identified included the following:
- Apprentices allow the business to secure a supply of people with the skills and qualities that the business required.
- Apprentices help secure a supply of skilled young recruits.
- Even if external recruitment was possible, Apprentices are less expensive to recruit and train than experienced workers hired on the external labour market.
- Apprentices contribute to a pool of skilled and certificated employees for the sector from which a company might recruit in the future.
- Apprentices tend to stay with the organisation and labour turnover is lower.
- Apprenticeship training could increase interest in training and development amongst other employees.
- Apprenticeships demonstrate company’s commitment to the employee.
- Apprenticeships are more practical and job-related than other forms of learning.
- Apprentices can bring new ideas and innovation to the business.
- A good Apprenticeship scheme could be reflected in an enhanced reputation for the business both within the industry and in the local community.