The course is aimed at anyone who is currently working in a role where they would need to handle, prepare or cook food. It is also great if you’re just about to start working in a role like this too. There are no formal entry requirements and you don’t need any previous experience or qualifications in food safety to start learning.
This course provides people who handle and/or work with food, with the underpinning knowledge and understanding required for good practice:
- To know and understand the importance of food hygiene
- To understand the nature of food hazards
- To know and understand good hygiene controls.
- How food hygiene contributes to food safety.
- The characteristics of food-borne illness.
- The effects of food-borne illness on consumers and food businesses.
- Legal responsibilities.
- Microbiological, physical and chemical hazards.
- The role of micro-organisms in food-borne illness and spoilage.
- Types, sources, vehicles and routes of contamination.
- HACCP-based food safety management systems.
- Principles of design, layout and construction of food premises and equipment.
- Methods of cleaning and disinfection.
- Methods of waste control and pest control.
- Food preservation.
- Temperature control and storage.
- Personal hygiene.
Your knowledge is assessed at the end of the course by way of a formal multiple choice exam.
On successfully completing the course, you’ll receive the certificate to show employers and inspectors that you’ve been trained to an appropriate level.